Sunday, July 01, 2007

HUMVEE



This is the HUMVEE (that is how you say it). The vehicle is ubiquitous throughout this theatre and has been since the war began.
I have read often about its deficiencies and how they have tried to fix them over the years. More armor, a gun turret, more armor for the gun turret etc.

It wasn't till I came here and saw the vehicles that I realized how overburdened and fundementally inadequate they are. The uparmored models all ride low on their suspensions. You can see in the photo how close the tops of the tires are to the fender. They are top heavy and prone to roll over. When they drive around the base you can see them wallow in a turn and you realize how careful the drivers have to be.

The other thing I didn't understand until I saw it was how blind these things are. Nothing can be seen directly to the rear unless the turret is turned that way. The armored glass side windows look to be about the size of a cereal box and all the windows are dusty because of the environment.

This is a very flawed vehicle that the guys here have laboured heroically to make work. But they can only do so much. Most of the deaths here have been from bombs and I bet a large number of those people were riding in HUMVEE's.

The Army and the Marines have only just lately (the Army after the Marines) decided to replace the HUMVEE with larger armored trucks built to take a hit. The trucks are variants of vehicles the South African Army has had since the 1970's. We took a long time to learn but we did finally. Sad.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I looked at the picture again while I read this posting and couldn't believe how low that vehicle is sitting! That can't be very good for the suspension. Once the services replaces these HUMVEEs, they can put air shocks on them and ship them all to LA and get top dollar for them!

What's the name of the new vehicle? I want to google it to see what they look like.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

the military acronym is MRAP, for mine resistant ambush protected vehicles. i am not exactly sure which company or models are to be purchased, but all are based on the v-shaped hull principle the Rhodesians and the South Africans came up with.

look on global security.com too. they have very good info.

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, I looked up the MRAP and I found a picture of one with a bomb exploding below it. The blast was redirected to the left and the right of the vehicle - very interesting. It make sense. They certainly are rather big monsters.

Here is the $64K question - will car dealers in wealthy suberbs start to cary MRAP's in place of Humvees with spinners on them and chrom radiator grilles?

Ok, that statement has sure as hell better get a response from BOTH Michael and Marty! And if those two lads don't respond then surely Luke, Nate or Even better!!!!

Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:02:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Al Gore will probably buy an MRAP and come up with an interesting explanation about how the purchase will help save the earth.

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tony-
LOL on the dealership crack!
cousin tommy

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home