Test Pilot
The company I work for has occasion to modify the airplanes we fly. Some of the modifications are quite extensive and can change the handling characteristics and performance of the aircraft. Because of this we must have the aircraft tested by competent test pilots in order to know what it will do.
A few weeks ago I had occasion to fly some test flights with the pilot we hired. The flights took place in Newton, Kansas, a very pretty little prarie town.
The test pilot wasn't just anybody, he was the man who made the first flight in the aircraft model. This is a very big deal; because no matter that airplanes have been around for more than 100 years and we can predict a lot about how they behave, you never KNOW what they will do until you fly them. Not only did this pilot make the first flight in this aircraft model, he did the bulk of the developmental test flying.
He had to do some handling checks and some performance checks. We did two flights and my role was to write down numbers and call out 30 second intervals on a stopwatch. The test pilot was in his late sixties, short, quiet and unprepossing. He had a very pleasent demeanor and answered all my many questions fully and with great patience. He was the last word on that airplane and knew exactly, exactly what he was doing. The tests went off without incident and I felt as if I was playing catch with Ted Williams, no, make that Joe DiMaggio while he was at the peak of his game.
I always looked up to test pilots and I still do.
A few weeks ago I had occasion to fly some test flights with the pilot we hired. The flights took place in Newton, Kansas, a very pretty little prarie town.
The test pilot wasn't just anybody, he was the man who made the first flight in the aircraft model. This is a very big deal; because no matter that airplanes have been around for more than 100 years and we can predict a lot about how they behave, you never KNOW what they will do until you fly them. Not only did this pilot make the first flight in this aircraft model, he did the bulk of the developmental test flying.
He had to do some handling checks and some performance checks. We did two flights and my role was to write down numbers and call out 30 second intervals on a stopwatch. The test pilot was in his late sixties, short, quiet and unprepossing. He had a very pleasent demeanor and answered all my many questions fully and with great patience. He was the last word on that airplane and knew exactly, exactly what he was doing. The tests went off without incident and I felt as if I was playing catch with Ted Williams, no, make that Joe DiMaggio while he was at the peak of his game.
I always looked up to test pilots and I still do.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home