Tuesday, March 27, 2007

If you were in Kin during the fighting...

Sorry it has been so long since the last post. The first two weeks of March I was stuck in South Africa with a broken airplane and upon my return to Kinshasa (via the airlines), I immediately left for the US. The airplane is still in South Africa and it is still broke. My time there wasn't a total loss. I learned to fly a helicopter and took some DC-3 photos. I will post the Douglas Racer photos when I work them up. People seem to like those.

I will be home for a month or two then back out to, I am hoping, Iraq or Afghanistan.

I missed the last round of fighting in Kinshasa. If anybody reading this blog was in Kin during the fighting, please post your stories, big, little, interesting or dull in the comments section or email them to me. I am very interested in hearing what when on.

I am very interested in hearing what your Congolese staffers say what did or didn't happen in their neighborhoods also. Rumors are welcome. If you have any photos, email them and I will post them.

FLASH! If any reader is interested in very good accounts and photos of the recent fighting in Kinshasa, go to the comments section and check the various blogs by Congogirl, Kate and Fred. They were there. Just click on the names and follow each blog to the other.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl: Fred, Kate, and I all have a number of posts up about the events. Definitely stop by. We even have some photos.

Sorry I missed you. Keep blogging, maybe I'll run into you somewhere else.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carl

Sorry about the plane.

Is flying a helicopter like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time?

There are lots of complaints going around about FARDC exacting cash from civilians during random identity checks or house searches.

Personally, I would choose Afghanistan over Iraq, but in your case I might want to know how many SAMs are in circulation before deciding.

Fred

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

when you are first learning to fly a helicopter, or a plane, it is like rubbing your tummy, patting your head, and reciting the Gettysburg address all at the same time. it is great fun though and their is an exhilerating sense of accomplishment when you get it right.

when i was learning to fly planes that is mostly what i thought about. the few days i was learning to fly helos, that was mostly what i thought about. maybe it was the return of youthful enthusiasm that thrilled me as much as the helo flying.

the fardc does the same thing in the east as you well know. you can't let those guys out of their barracks. they keep this up and they will cause more problem than they solved.

now we see if kabila is really deep smart, or just shallow smart. if he can restrain the fardc in kin now he will be deep smart. a few well publicized hangings or shootings of some bandit fardc soldiers would do wonders.

Friday, March 30, 2007 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sahara Sarah said...

Hi Carl - sorry I missed you in DC. Currently in Bujumbura, where I am (for better or worse) not having to take planes to get to the field. Or motorycles. Or pirogues.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home