Saturday, February 03, 2007

"Captain! Captain!"

These were the words I heard shouted at me from behind a fence at the edge of the ramp in Bumba, DRC. I looked over to see a woman holding up a live chicken by the legs and indicating it was for sale. No thank you. So the guy next to her held up a pineapple.

In Bumba, the poultry and produce section comes to you.

Ain't Bumba just a great name for a town. It isn't the best one though. The best one is Shabunda. Sounds very dramatic. Shabunda. Mission to Shabunda, Rendezvous over Shabunda. Great.

7 Comments:

Blogger beads-n-books said...

How about Mbanza-Ngungu? Now, that's rhythmic -I wonder if we could work up a rap with all the ...unga/...unda city names.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain...Captain...makes you feel a little like Kirk doesnt it. Exploring strange new worlds, meeting new life and new civilizations, bravely going where no man has gone before (to the poultry market?) If only you had one of those little communication devices.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The double "captain" reminds me of the title of the Walt Whitman poem, "O Captain! My Captain!". What a sad, but pretty poem. Although, I think I like its reference in the movie "Dead Poets Society" much better (more optimistic). Good luck on your voyage through the African skies, "Captain"!

Sunday, February 04, 2007 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

we do have one of those little commo devices. the cell phones work in bumba just great.

niece: you know i have never actually read that poem. i will as soon as i sigh off here.

you should start looking at kipling poems. those are poems. send me your address and i will have amazon ship you book of kipling poems.

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really liked Bumba. I had a great moto ride in the city, a few primus along the river, et même un baiser volé avant le départ!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/helenerd/182959840/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/helenerd/272614262/

I think Mbanza Ngungu is the best name! and it's a nice place.
Other fun names are : Bokatolaka and Tchikapa.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:23:00 AM  
Blogger ExAfrica said...

What is it about Kipling?

lovely...



And off to look at "O Captain, My Captain!" - only ever remeber the movie - never knew there was a poem...

Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Kipling knew human nature, especially the nature of men. He could state it with clarity and emotional power in just a few words. And he had a sense of humor.

Another poet i like is Robert Service.

these preferences insure that in the eyes of a college literature prof, i have no taste at all.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home