Sunday, June 17, 2007

CRC

CRC stands for Conus Replacement Center. It is in Fort Benning now and you go through it for a week if you are going overseas. During that week you are fill out various bits of paperwork, recieve a little bit of training, get a medical evaluation some innocultaions and stand around a lot. A whole lot. One day I showed at 0530 for a medical, was told to return at 0730, went to the medical facility at 0800, waited in the parking lot until 1200, waited inside the building until 1500, waited for a ride to the CRC until 1600, waited there for a ride to a medical facility off post until 1930, went to the medical facility off post and found out it was closed, returned to the CRC and they let me go home at 2100. This was the worst day but not that much worse than the other 6.

Very trying for us civilian types.

Some of the training was good. Some of it wasn't. All of it could have been good but they rushed us through much of it and some of it you just flat couldn't hear. Got to check those boxes off.

There was one day of mine/ied (read: bomb) and battle first aid training. That was very good. The training lasted 12 hours and was presented by a group of what I took to be retired nco's. They knew what they were about and they knew how to keep a group interested in the proceedings. I wish I had recieved first aid training of such quality when I was going through the State Police Academy, I wouldn't have been scared to death of running into broken people.

We also had some legal, law of war training. That was pretty good also except for one thing that I very much disagreed with. The officer instructor told of of something called proportionality, ie you can't kill 100 innocents to get one guy. Ok, I buy that. Then he added, "the exception might be Osama Bin Laden."

That was throwaway line, but "no that isn't an allowable exception." I don't think so anyway. If you killed a lot of innocents to get Osama you just created a bunch of people who will take his place. I don't think all their relatives and countrymen will say, "that's ok. I realize how much you Yanks wanted to get that guy. I forgive you for killing my uncle who just happened to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time." The instructor missed a big opportunity to teach people that there is a whole lot more this kind of fight than just bumping off a particullarly hated individual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home