Thursday, November 09, 2006

Artiste



For the most part, here in Kinshasa, if you want a sign advertising what you are selling, you don't get a poster from the company, you hire a sign painter. He comes over to your store and you give him an item you want to advertise. The sign painter takes the item in his left hand, holds it out at full length, squints a little, and uses the pencil in his right hand to draw an outline of the item. He squints once more, makes one last line and he's done.

The next day he come with his paints and brushes, stands under a rainbow hued parasol and makes the sign complete. If a mundele comes along and asks to take a photo; the artiste sets down his paints and parasol and assumes a pose of suitably serious dignity. Then he makes sure the mundele has his address and phone number in case there are more signs to be done and he resumes his work.

If anybody reading this in Kinshasa needs a sign painted, contact me. I have this gentleman's address and phone number. From the address, I think he is a soldier and if such, he doesn't get paid very often and can use the work.

One thing I've noticed here in Congo, is that when you ask people if you can take their photo, they very often assume a formal, slightly stiff and probably rehearsed pose. It reminds me of photos taken in the 1800's in the US and England; everybody with that "I really am a serious person" look. It beats the hell out of the "I'm your buddy" phony grin that American self styled elites all affect.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of the more lovable things about Kinshasa: handpainted billboards and shopfronts, entrepreneurial flair.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 7:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. I can assure it's the exact same thing here - on the other side of the border - in northern Uganda - signposts and taking photos of people.
Pernille

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger ExAfrica said...

Oh god, you're right about us and our photos!

I shall, from here to forward, elect a serious, I am not your buddy, pose.

Thank you.

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

catherine: what is wikiquote? and what do they have? my mom wants to know. i, of course, am above all that.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home