Dim light becomes me
Back in the States for a few weeks am I and I got on an elevator going down from a mid-level floor on the tallest building in Colorado Springs, which isn't so very tall. The door opened and as I stepped I saw in the elevator a woman in her late 20s, fair skinned, fresh faced, 5'4" tall, slender but curvy figure, wide set big bright eyes, even features, high cheekbones (and I saw all this in 1/2 second, isn't it remarkable how our brains are set up to make instant evaluations of members of the opposite sex); all in all, she was a great girl next door beauty.
Anyway, I saw her and thought "whoa" and gave one of those instant little startled hesitations you give when you suddenly see somebody really good looking. The next thing I thought is I could have sworn she gave a start too. The next thing I thought was old guys like me have great powers to delude themselves.
Then...she started talking to me! I am not making this up (thank you Dave Barry); and I learned as much about her as a person can learn in four floors of elevator travel. She got to her floor, hesitated in the open doors and said she would probably see me around the building. I replied I hoped so.
I, being an old guy but still seeing the 30 year old in the mirror, as most old guys do, was floating a few inches off the floor and thinking things are looking up. Then the elevator got to my floor and I stepped out into the sunlit atrium and thought "things are looking bright, yes sir, things are looking brightly lit, unlike the elevator,,,which wasn't so brightly lit,...so maybe things aren't...as bright...as...I thought.
But it was great fun for seven floors.
Anyway, I saw her and thought "whoa" and gave one of those instant little startled hesitations you give when you suddenly see somebody really good looking. The next thing I thought is I could have sworn she gave a start too. The next thing I thought was old guys like me have great powers to delude themselves.
Then...she started talking to me! I am not making this up (thank you Dave Barry); and I learned as much about her as a person can learn in four floors of elevator travel. She got to her floor, hesitated in the open doors and said she would probably see me around the building. I replied I hoped so.
I, being an old guy but still seeing the 30 year old in the mirror, as most old guys do, was floating a few inches off the floor and thinking things are looking up. Then the elevator got to my floor and I stepped out into the sunlit atrium and thought "things are looking bright, yes sir, things are looking brightly lit, unlike the elevator,,,which wasn't so brightly lit,...so maybe things aren't...as bright...as...I thought.
But it was great fun for seven floors.

4 Comments:
what did you say to the security guard who reminded you that loitering was not allowed that evening when they locked up the building for the night?
i said "honest, i have no malign intent nor do i have a police record, i am just interested in pedestrian architecture." they didn't buy it.
LOL- you give all hope!
Cousin Tommmy
then bright light takes it away.
Post a Comment
<< Home