Monday, May 18, 2009

9 ton smart cars

Some of the guys at the parent unit just got some new vehicles to go to and from their housing area-fully up-armored Humvees.  One of the Sergeants got them from another base somewhere and had them transported here.  The guys used to take the bus so having the Humvees makes their lives a lot easier.  They are not the best local area runabouts, they aren't very comfortable and only seat four, unless somebody wants to ride in the turret, which I haven't seen anybody do;  but they beat taking the bus.

I don't know how the Sergeant managed to get these vehicles but I figure the unit that had them didn't need them anymore.  I'm guessing they didn't need them because they have MRAPs to drive.  There are lots of MRAPs around now, two and three axled RG-33s, Caimans, and Max-Pros along with the RG-31s, Buffalos and Cougars that were here before.  The MRAPs are far better able to take a hit and keep the crew intact than the Humvees.  You don't see that many Humvees on the road now.

There must be hundreds the fighting units don't need anymore, so they end up being used to get some pilots from their little metal houses to the flightline.  Good a use as any.  It is kind of odd though to see them lined up with all the Toyota pickups and Chevy SUVs in the parking lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home