Saturday, December 13, 2008

visiting my Dad's grave

I traveled in the east for the past few weeks, visiting relatives and friends. One of the stops was in Cleveland to visit my Dad's grave. He died in 2006 when I was in Africa and I was unable to attend the funeral. So I wanted to visit his grave and visit my brother who also lives CLE.

Me and my brother, who is 7 years younger than I, were driving over to site and we stopped at a gas station because he wanted something to drink. He got a coffee and I got an Arizona Iced Tea. We took them to the counter which was manned by the standard issue fresh faced 18 year old girl. The total was $2.32.

My brother reached for his wallet and I said:

"I'll get it."

My brother replied

"I'll get it"

I said

"No, let me."

My brother replies

"Don't worry about...."

At this point the girl behind the counter interrupted, all bright and cheerful, to ask

"Father and son?"

I figuratively sank to my knees. My brother yelled "Yeah!" rose 3 feet in the air, high-fived her and she was the picture of confusion. The worst thing anybody has ever said to me, ever; and it came out of nowhere on a day with a bright blue sky. Sorta like death.

My new found son paid the bill and we went to the grave site which was nice enough. The epitaph I posted way back then was better but the one on the stone sufficed I guess. I've seen it and that was enough.

14 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

there you go maxsohl. there's another post for you.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touching story Carl. I don't understand the epitaph reference

Monday, December 15, 2008 2:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it was your serious demenor because of the pending visit and his happy go lucky life attitude that confused the poor girl.

Monday, December 15, 2008 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

my demeanor wasn't serious. it would take an immediate serious threat, or a discussion of the motives of Obama voters (that comment should stimulate the bidding at Imperial Headquarters) to make my demeanor serious when I am hanging around with my brothers, one or many. no...as they say, the innocent have no incentive to lie. I be old. The sun shines dimmer in the sky.

Anonymous: When my Dad died I posted what I thought would be a good epitaph. It would be April or May, 2006. I still think it is a good epitaph.

Monday, December 15, 2008 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

The epitaph was posted on August 20, 2006.

Monday, December 15, 2008 5:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I guess you are right, nobody can be to serious when hanging around with the brothers.
He was drinking the coffee, and you were drinking the soda. I think maybe they just don't hire the brightest bulbs at those places, and she made an error in judgement.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

yea, that's it. an error in judgement. that's what it was, an error in judgement, an error in....(stage direction: the phrase keeps repeating over and over again as the volume gets softer and softer as the character walks to the horizon where the dark shroud of doom and a complimentary membership in the AARP is discernible just beyond.[who says i can't rip off The Wizard of OZ?])

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, now I am confused. Obama voters make you serious buy you hallucinating that you are Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ is no big deal?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:08:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

i am not hallucinating that i am Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. i am scene stealing from the Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland was much shorter than i am.

When I imagine myself a character from a movie, i pick someone from Lonesome Dove. Horses, chases, rifles and clever, noble dialog, that's for me.

Obama voters make serious to the point of being glum.

Confused is good.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having a difficult time imagining you out on the plains, on the back of a horse draped in buffolo skin with a long rifle and ruby red slippers.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

I'm not. Those slippers would really impress the Indians. Probably make a good trade item.

"so belagana, i sure do like them red shoes."

"they can be had you know. got any beaver pelts you can part with?"

Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A right leaning entrepreneurial transvestite frontiersman? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Friday, December 19, 2008 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

just make sure you say that with respect pardner.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home