"You Stink!" giggle, giggle
My auntie's friend Ray X just died the other day. His son called her to let her know because her number was the last one on his cell phone. They had been part of circle of friends for going on 70 years.
There is story she tells about Ray and a friend of his named Jackie Y. In the early 40's they were in high school and they thought it was great fun to call a man whose name and number they had selected from the phone book. His name was Mr. Pugh.
After he had answered the phone they would ask:
"Is this Mr. Pugh?"
"Yes."
"You Stink!"
Then they would hang up and laugh as only high school boys can laugh at a stale joke. They didn't get tired of this joke either for they did it a number of times until they went into the Army, the real Army. Both ended up in the infantry in Europe.
Luckily, Ray and Jackie survived and when they returned they decided to call Mr. Pugh again, just to say hello this time.
When he answered they said:
"Mr. Pugh?"
Mr. Pugh recognized their voices and replied:
"Oh Thank God! You guys aren't dead! I've been worried sick about you. I thought you had been killed in the war and now you're alive. Thank God!"
I wrote in the past about a guy I bought an airplane from. He was in the infantry in Europe for 2 1/2 years, North Africa and Italy. He died in the last several months. His obituary said he earned 2 bronze stars during his service. I didn't know that. That was something. He was a very fine old fellow.
There is story she tells about Ray and a friend of his named Jackie Y. In the early 40's they were in high school and they thought it was great fun to call a man whose name and number they had selected from the phone book. His name was Mr. Pugh.
After he had answered the phone they would ask:
"Is this Mr. Pugh?"
"Yes."
"You Stink!"
Then they would hang up and laugh as only high school boys can laugh at a stale joke. They didn't get tired of this joke either for they did it a number of times until they went into the Army, the real Army. Both ended up in the infantry in Europe.
Luckily, Ray and Jackie survived and when they returned they decided to call Mr. Pugh again, just to say hello this time.
When he answered they said:
"Mr. Pugh?"
Mr. Pugh recognized their voices and replied:
"Oh Thank God! You guys aren't dead! I've been worried sick about you. I thought you had been killed in the war and now you're alive. Thank God!"
I wrote in the past about a guy I bought an airplane from. He was in the infantry in Europe for 2 1/2 years, North Africa and Italy. He died in the last several months. His obituary said he earned 2 bronze stars during his service. I didn't know that. That was something. He was a very fine old fellow.

2 Comments:
Thank you Carl- I love when my mom tells that story- tommy
Hilarious story :)
Post a Comment
<< Home