Mail Theft
I am back in the states now and will be for a few months.
Times don't change.
My Mom told me a story once about how her brother sent her a box filled with interesting items from the Pacific right after WWII. When she received the box it was filled with worn out army blankets.
Just before I left I mailed myself a large number of items so I wouldn't have to carry them along with the body armor I never use. When the box arrived 80% of the thing that were in it were gone, though the box had been taped up very securely after all the items were stolen. Interstingly, there were some things in the box that I hadn't mailed, including a bench-made knife and some japanese drinks of some kind.
I think postal or airline employees in Newark decided to go throuh a large number of boxes coming in from overseas and pick out the things they liked. When they were done they threw the leftovers into the boxes they thought the items came from. Only they didn't get them right and I (and probably others ended) up with things we didn't send ourselves.
So this is the picture. There is a group of postal or airline employees in Newark who specifically target boxes coming in from overseas. Boxes that are most often shipped by soldiers. I figure Newark because the boxes are probably palletized and Newark is where they break down the pallets for further shipment.
They wait till a likely pallet comes in, then they go through multiple boxes and take what they like. When they are done, they pitch what's left back in the boxes, tape them up and send them on their way. They do a very good job re-taping the boxes so I figure they are probably Post Office employees.
Ain't that great. They do their bit in the war by stealing from soldiers.
Times don't change.
My Mom told me a story once about how her brother sent her a box filled with interesting items from the Pacific right after WWII. When she received the box it was filled with worn out army blankets.
Just before I left I mailed myself a large number of items so I wouldn't have to carry them along with the body armor I never use. When the box arrived 80% of the thing that were in it were gone, though the box had been taped up very securely after all the items were stolen. Interstingly, there were some things in the box that I hadn't mailed, including a bench-made knife and some japanese drinks of some kind.
I think postal or airline employees in Newark decided to go throuh a large number of boxes coming in from overseas and pick out the things they liked. When they were done they threw the leftovers into the boxes they thought the items came from. Only they didn't get them right and I (and probably others ended) up with things we didn't send ourselves.
So this is the picture. There is a group of postal or airline employees in Newark who specifically target boxes coming in from overseas. Boxes that are most often shipped by soldiers. I figure Newark because the boxes are probably palletized and Newark is where they break down the pallets for further shipment.
They wait till a likely pallet comes in, then they go through multiple boxes and take what they like. When they are done, they pitch what's left back in the boxes, tape them up and send them on their way. They do a very good job re-taping the boxes so I figure they are probably Post Office employees.
Ain't that great. They do their bit in the war by stealing from soldiers.

5 Comments:
At least on the plus side you ended up with a Benchmade...that's a quality knife right there.
True. I wish I could return it to its rightful owner though.
A British lady, a friend of mine living in Sicily (Italy), is always bothering me about the Sicilian postmen being the only ones in the world who steal from the mailboxes.
(As an admirer of Donald Duck postman delivering leaflets and bills under the storm and the snow, I am shocked. Oh, my America)
you should send yourseld a bos of fire ants ... nevermind, that's a crime.
the fire ants idea is a good one but i don´t think they have them over there. there are some great large scorpions though. wouldn´t that be a scene worth seeing.
Post a Comment
<< Home