Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Artiste


This is a photo of a wood carving I bought in Kanaga. I was staying at a procure and a woman was selling a number of carvings and masks. This one caught my eye and, through an interpreter, I asked how much?

$50.00

No Way.

How much you willing to pay?

$15.00

No Way.

The exchange was made for $20.00. I don't particularly care for "African" art but this is good. I like the old man's expression and posture.

There are a number of "artistes" here in the green and glorious DRC. They wander about with backpacks or duffel bags filled with carving and masks and things. An extraordinary number of pieces fit in the bags and the things don't seem worse for the wear.

These people always introduce themselves as being artists. I've seen them in Kinshasa and Kisangai and Kananga. I don't know if they are artists or not. I suspect they are brokers. Every once in a while they have something cool, like this bent over old man.

A procure is a guest house, essentially a hotel, run by the Catholic Church. They are the places you stay if the town is too small to have an acceptable hotel or you can't find an NGO to bunk with.

Most of them are a bit dilapadated but you get a room to yourself with clean sheets and a mosquito net; breakfast and dinner are available as well. The W.C. and shower are at the end of the hall. The one in Kananga has running water and a shower in the room so that is a step up. One big, big advantage to a procure is there are no security worries. Not such a bad setup.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet if you started at $5 you could have gotten it for $15. They go for $30 in Mexico.

Its pretty cool. I think they make them by the thousands in Manilla but its cool nonetheless.

just joking...I like it

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

I wondered why that Filipino flag was stamped on the bottom.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After some discussion...we like the the little fellow a bunch. How tall is your "little man"?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

That's the spirit! Art appreciation by committee.

He is about two handspans high, maybe sixteen inches.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home