Saturday, June 12, 2010

THIS is a quote: pt. 2

"I will allow you to come for the conference you want and I also allow you to come with a guard of 500 men." And when "you come to my mountains," Sandino advised, "make your wills beforehand." Until then, the general concluded, "I remain your most obedient servant, who ardently desires to put you in a handsome tomb with beautiful bouquets of flowers."
"Bravo! General," Hatfield replied. "If words were bullets and phrases were soldiers, you would be a field marshal instead of a mule thief."

-1927 correspondence between Augusto Cesar Sandino and Capt. G.D. Hatfield, USMC, as recounted in the The Sandino Affair by Neill Macaulay.


Now THAT is cool.


(the passages above were from a book I just read called Contra Cross by William R. Meara. It is about the contras in Nicaragua. There was an insight the book that I never ran into before. The book is quite interesting.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home