A giant walked by
I had occasion to wander about the American air base at the capitol city airport the other day. It was mid-day, very hot, no wind with that white colorless sky that glares at you for months. As I walked down the sidewalk a 1st LT and three other guys tried to bluff me off the concrete, which I didn't let them do. You is one tough guy L-T.
I took a few steps thinking ill thoughts when I saw another soldier walking toward me down the sidewalk. A young guy he was, mid-twenties like so many of the soldiers and he was dressed in a pt uniform- Army t-shirt, athletic shorts and sneakers. Nothing much unusual about him except he didn't have a right leg. He had a prosthesis with an articulated knee joint and a sneaker at the end of it. The Army did a good job on it and he walked confident with no limp at all.
We passed and he glanced at me and I at him as people do and we went our ways. But when I passed I felt there should have been something more. Remember the scene from "To Kill A Mockingbird" where Atticus Finch is leaving the courthouse after the heroic attempt to win, and the preacher says to Scout "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. That's your father passing." That is what should happen wherever that soldier goes. People should nudge each other and say "Stand up. That man is passing."
There have been several soldiers who have lost limbs and gone back to the fight. I suspect he was one. Giants they are. I wasn't able to honor him that day as he deserved. Circumstances weren't right. But buddy, whoever you are, and wherever you go, in my heart, I am standing as you pass.
I took a few steps thinking ill thoughts when I saw another soldier walking toward me down the sidewalk. A young guy he was, mid-twenties like so many of the soldiers and he was dressed in a pt uniform- Army t-shirt, athletic shorts and sneakers. Nothing much unusual about him except he didn't have a right leg. He had a prosthesis with an articulated knee joint and a sneaker at the end of it. The Army did a good job on it and he walked confident with no limp at all.
We passed and he glanced at me and I at him as people do and we went our ways. But when I passed I felt there should have been something more. Remember the scene from "To Kill A Mockingbird" where Atticus Finch is leaving the courthouse after the heroic attempt to win, and the preacher says to Scout "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. That's your father passing." That is what should happen wherever that soldier goes. People should nudge each other and say "Stand up. That man is passing."
There have been several soldiers who have lost limbs and gone back to the fight. I suspect he was one. Giants they are. I wasn't able to honor him that day as he deserved. Circumstances weren't right. But buddy, whoever you are, and wherever you go, in my heart, I am standing as you pass.

1 Comments:
Carl, You have such a way of putting things in perspective-well done.
Post a Comment
<< Home