Thursday, November 19, 2009

Toothpaste food

The chow hall food here I get very tired off. It is of good quality and very plentiful, and, best of all, free. But it is still institutional food. Most everything is over prepared, deep fried, breaded or drowned in vinegar. Sort of like Denny's/Shoney's took over all the cook schools.

So I find the one or two things I like and eat that, and most only that. There were the potato months, and the ice cream diet. That one lasted 2 months.

Now I am eating mostly MREs, meals ready to eat. Guys who have had to live on MREs exclusively don't want them anymore but I have a choice so I don't mind them. I still like them. The ingredients are high quality and most of the things are simply prepared. Deep frying isn't an option. The food is very well packed in heavy plasticized foil envelopes. They have little heater units in them and a spoon so you can do pretty good for yourself. I am too lazy to do that so I cut off a corner and squeeze out the food directly into my mouth. Toothpaste food.

It brings to mind things about space travel I read as a boy. One of the favorite motifs was concentrated food stored in tubes. You undid the cap and rolled lunch out from the end. I never thought I would be eating like that but I am. Ain't life funny.

1 Comments:

Anonymous sister said...

sounds better than rice-a-roni and tuna. your stable diet of years ago.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home