Sunday, March 12, 2006

I know how this one got there

That is just what you think it is, a Boeing 727 sitting in the tall grass off the south end of the runway in Kindu, D.R.C. It has been there for months and will be there for years, maybe decades.

Last year, the aircraft made an ill advised approach during a rainstorm. He had enough fuel to go elsewhere, but why do that, the runway was plenty long. Plenty long if you land near the beginning, not so long if you land halfway down. He rolled off the end into the field.

Nobody was injured and the aircraft wasn't heavily damaged but there it will stay. Good thing, Kindu didn't have a decoration, like the other airports. Now it does.

I can picture the scene. The rain pouring down, the engines in max reverse roaring away, flames coming out the nozzle, continuous compressor stalls, "bang, bang, bang, bang", the brakes smoking and steaming; and despite all the airplane rolls slowly and majestically off the end of the runway and on into the field until it came to dignified halt in the grass.

What a sight.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl,

Who piloted this aircraft into that predicament? A foreigner who didn't know the (aforementioned) weather patterns? Or a congolese?

BOY, I hope he realized how blessed he was (and how near death he came)...

Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

i don't know anything about the crew. they did what a lot of crews throughout the world have done, they misjudged the airplane, the weather and the runway.

Monday, March 13, 2006 1:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My house (with me, my wife and kids in it) took nearly a direct hit from what may have been an F3 tornado last night.

I say "nearly" because every other house around us took roof, fence, window, vehicle, wall damage last night, but we didn't seem to (though it may have destroyed our central air unit).

Nonetheless, as I learned last night after making yesterday's post, making decisions when an F3 funnel's on top of you's not an easy thing to do. Nor could it be when a 100 mile by 100 mile DRC thunderstorm is hammering you.

I apologize for the callousness of my comments yesterday.

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

glad no one was hurt at your house. the wx in north america is much more severe than around here.

what callous comment?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Congogirl said...

I think Sarah in the Sahara was on this flight?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home