Broken Bird
This is what remains of an AN-12 that crashed in Mbui Mayi on February 26. The ground around the wreckage is burned and blackened. This is not the same aircraft pictured below. There is nothing left of that airplane. There is a little left of this one.The airplane had a fire in an engine on approach. It left the runway on landing and burned up. No one was killed. The crash info I got from the internet.

3 Comments:
Carl, two aviation questions, if I may. (I'm a teetotaler, but I'd be glad to take you out for a beverage of your choice up here in northwest Arkansas (which is a lot more like Dallas/Fort Worth than Jed Clampett/Jethro Bodine territory) 'cause I'd love to hear your stories.)
1. How is Hewa Bora airlines getting along (that your at liberty to say)? Are they keeping pretty viable as a Congolese inter-African airline?
2. I noticed you flew from Chicago to Paris to Kinshasa. Is it better (and cheaper) to use Air France, or did you go Brussels SA (or whatever the remnants of SABENA are)?
I'd be curious from travelers what's the best airline to get from the States to Europe to Kinshasa.
Thanks and God bless.
BTW, sir, I think it was you who said something to the effect of: among aid workers, people who've served here either hate the place or they cannot WAIT to get back and serve some more.
That's interesting, because in this on-line journal by a fellow nicknamed "Jet City Jimbo", he calls (then) Zaire the part he hated most of his trip across Africa from Ghana to Kenya, and the place that he enjoyed most on that trip.
You might also get a kick out of the Zaire poem one of his traveling companions wrote if you've not yet seen it...again, this is from a mid-90s trip, not that all that much has changed...
hewa bora keeps flying, beyond that i don't know too much.
the company booked the ticket on air france. i enjoy my flites with them and would recommend the airline.
as far as aid workers attitudes toward the congo, i don't remember saying that though that doesn't mean i didn't. i wouldn't say opinions are that extreme, mostly somewhere in between like most of life.
Post a Comment
<< Home