Sunday, February 05, 2006

Fashion Statements

In Kinshasa, it is possible to observe, amongst the uniformed police and army, the many ways in which martial implements can be used as fashion accessories. These guys are conscious of their appearence so they do what they can to express their individuality. I can't think of any other good reason for some of this. Here is a list of some things I've seen.

By far and away the most popular thing to do is to remove the shoulder stock from your AK. It is so much easier to swagger about without the stock getting in the way. The next most popular thing to do is tape magazines together and insert the mass into the rifle. 3 taped together is pretty common and I vaguely remember seeing four but I can't be sure of that. It would probably be a bit akward if the magazines were fully loaded. One cop I saw, in addition to removing the shoulder stock, had sawed off the barrel of his rifle immediately in front of the gas port. He had created, probably, the shortest, handiest straight pull bolt action AK in the world. It looked cool though.

I saw a 5 man police patrol walking down the street. In addition to his weapon, each man had about 50 rounds of linked machine gun ammunition draped around his neck. Nobody in the patrol had a machine gun but they were ready in case they found one. You see guys wearing ammo belts with individual loops for each round. 10 or so rounds of polished rifle ammunition shining in the sun looks pretty good, even when you aren't carrying a weapon.

Empty pistol holsters hanging from the belt are very common as are bayonets. The bayonets probably have a practical use, good for menacing passers-by. A lot of guys walk around wearing empty equipment, backpacks, canteen holders etc; the various straps and fasteners of which may or may not be flapping in the wind. On occasion you see lengths of rope with carabiners wrapped around someones waist. I think this is some kind of rappelling rig, very useful in the city.

One thing they have in common with the rest of the world are berets. Everybody wears a beret. I can't think of anything less appropriate for the tropics but they all have them.

All this being said, these guys do take care with their appearance. The uniforms are old, but as neatly worn as their condition allows and everybody has polished boots. And they notice the condition of yours. When I polish mine I get compliments.

The Congo is a very interesting place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Congogirl said...

Obviously my shoes were really in need of a polish that one time at the Kisangani airport when the kid put the black polish on one without even asking. I said No after the fact and ripped a bit of my Guardian Weekly off to wipe my shoe.

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Congogirl: i AM going to get your blog linked, i will.
the same thing happened to me in kisangani. it was probably the same kid. i've dealt with him several times and he is really a pleasant little guy. i don't hold his aggresive approach to business against him and he doesn't hold my reaction against me. Sort of mafia-lite, it's just business.

Elizabeth: are you in afghanistan? it seems so. i think the bloodbath would be a bit one sided. from the history i've read of the place, the afghans can be pretty good.

the congolese don't have any ammo either from what i'm told. they sell the bullets.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home