Sunday, December 18, 2005

Read this article

Check out the Small Wars Journal link. All of it is available on line. Volume 3 has a long article extracted from a book about the Rwanda genocide and subsequent wars. The author was a U.S. military attache in Zaire at the time. Some things in Congo haven't at all since then.

I will be out of Africa for about six weeks, so probably few postings until then.

6 Comments:

Blogger BRE said...

Thanks for the link to the "Journey into Darkness" book review over at Small Wars Journal, Carl. Interesting those guys, real interesting.

Hope you are getting some rest in your 6 weeks break Out of Africa. I do intend to spend more time at your blog in 2006. Great photos and the writing looks interesting.

P.S. I still can't figure out what movie the blog title is from. Give me a hint. Was it John (The Duke) Wayne starring in John Ford's "They Were Expendable" (ca. 1945)? Non? Aw shucks!

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:07:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Okay heres the hint.

It was Micheal Caine's first big role, I think.

I am so glad someone went to the Small Wars Journal site. It's a great site.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Congogirl said...

Hey Carl, do me a favor and add my link to your list -- http://congogirl.livejournal.com. You are on mine, so I remember to come visit every now and again! I think someone else mentioned the Small Wars journal recently, I will check it out. Hope to hear more from you when you return!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl,

Thanks much for the link and kind comments concerning the Small Wars Journal.

Enjoy your Blog (why I linked early on to it).

Tom Odem did a great job in capturing his Rwanda experience re: Journey into Darkness.

He is also offering up additional experiences / insights on his assignments throughout Africa on our Small Wars Council Discussion Forum.

Tom "gets it" as do many other military associated members of the forum.

Would like to see those "on the ground" in Arica offer up their insights and observations - our mantra is that Small Wars are about people and culture and involve much more than "kicking in doors" - "winning hearts and minds" fits nicely - regardless of the Vietnam era baggage this term may carry.

Best and Semper Fi,

Dave Dilegge

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Congogirl: I shall comply.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Dave:

Thank you.

Tell Tom Odem at least one copy of his book will start making the rounds in Kishasa as soon as I get back.

"Winning hearts and minds" does capture it nicely. We learned so much in Vietnam at such great cost; it is a shame when it is forgotten.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home