Solar cooking
One of the other guys told me that eating oatmeal was good for your various blood chemical levels so that is what I have started to do. there is a slight problem in that I get up in the middle of the afternoon and don't have any way to heat water in my little metal house. But it did occur to me that when I get up it is plenty hot out, normally in excess of 100 degrees f. And it further occurred to me that any water bottle left sitting out side will be even hotter that 100 degrees f. Therefore, problem solved. I pour most of the water out of the bottle, add instant oatmeal, a little sugar, let it sit for a little while and voila-oatmeal. It has to be a little runny though so it can pour out of the bottle.
This is not a big thing, but for some reason I am really pleased that I was able to think of this and it works. When the weather changes and it isn't above 100 in the afternoons, I'll have to think of something else.
I use the plain oatmeal because it has beaucoup less salt and they would run out of that first in the chow hall. I asked the very pretty girl who ran the chow hall midnight shift why that was and she said the guys in the Route Clearance Teams and various convoy escort units grab that first because it is better for mixing with other ingredients. So the plain old is still the best and the apple-cinnamon fruit crackle etc that the Quaker Oat Company spent so much effort to develop sits there in the bin rejected in favor of the old old original. Just goes to show you...what I don't know but it must show something.
This is not a big thing, but for some reason I am really pleased that I was able to think of this and it works. When the weather changes and it isn't above 100 in the afternoons, I'll have to think of something else.
I use the plain oatmeal because it has beaucoup less salt and they would run out of that first in the chow hall. I asked the very pretty girl who ran the chow hall midnight shift why that was and she said the guys in the Route Clearance Teams and various convoy escort units grab that first because it is better for mixing with other ingredients. So the plain old is still the best and the apple-cinnamon fruit crackle etc that the Quaker Oat Company spent so much effort to develop sits there in the bin rejected in favor of the old old original. Just goes to show you...what I don't know but it must show something.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home