Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Bright lights in the big city

We were flying over the capitol city of this land the other day as we have on other days over the years, and I saw something new. There was a brightly lit full size soccer stadium where there hadn't been one before. It added some color to the city scene when viewed from above and I was glad to see it. I know bombs are still going off down there but somebody thought it worth while to construct and light a big stadium so maybe that is a good sign.

There only other bits of color to be seen are the mosques. The bigger the mosque, the brighter the lights. Two of the big ones in the capitol look like amusement parks from the air, great long strings of bright green and white lights. It almost seems like they are competing.

You can spot mosques by these lights. The bigger the mosque the grander the lights but even the little ones have a string or two. I thought for a long time the smaller ones were gas stations (this is an indication of how culturally knowledgeable I am), until one day we looked at them close and saw what they actually were.

I know how to ID buildings in the States by their configuration and parking lot sizes and now I know how to ID mosques in this land and maybe some of the lands surrounding. That will enhance my resume not at all but I can do it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zulu ?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zulu ?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Give that man a point for cultural awareness. ZULU it is.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

I read a book by Michael Caine and he said that there were some ugly things he saw during the making of that movie, which was shot on location in South Africa. Too bad, since one of the things that made that movie great was the immense respect it showed for the battle's antagonists. Also, I read that all but one of the British soldiers killed in the battle were killed by gunfire. Just one was killed with an assagai.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home