Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We fly to an island in the sea




This is the British Commonwealth cemetery.  There are mostly New Zealanders buried there, older men when they died, in their late 20's and early 30's I think.  I read that Commonwealth cemeteries were beautiful and perfectly kept and they are.
This is  my room from the outside, second floor.  It was on the water.  I don't know how to turn the picture the right way 'round.






We flew to an island in the sea a little while ago to have the airplane worked on. It is a beautiful place as you can see. The trip was uneventful and now I can say I have flown over the desert and the sea, a big desert and a medium size sea.

The airplane was worked on there instead of our big base because one of the many subcontractors on the project was too cheap to do what was needed to get a critical employee into this corner of the imperial frontier. So we moved the airplane to the man. The food was good and I stayed in the nicest room I ever stayed in but I would have rather not been a part of a government boondogle (how is that word spelled anyway?).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That first picture is gorgeous, especially with the lighting.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the contractor have you bring the plane to them because they didn't want to go so close to the action?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:26:00 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

i really think it was they were lazy in addition to being cheap. there is no beer to be had in these parts either (says my cynical side).

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that picture of the ospreys is pretty sweet. Do you think they're good or do you think they're crappy? (I always read in the news that they're crappy, but those reports don't really seem true).

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

i don't know anything about how effective the Osprey's are. Time will tell I guess. (how profound is that)

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home