They Don't Know
I spent part of yesterday delivering 780 kilos of election information posters to Bandundu and Kikwit. In Bandundu an F-27 took off from Runway 11 as we were turning base for Runway 29 (the same runway, opposite direction). He never made any radio call on either HF or VHF and he took off downwind. Time is money you know.
When filing the flight plan at Kikwit the CAA man who handled it looked a bit uneasy, as if he wanted to say something. As I finished he stated, without preamble, that tomorrow was the country's first election in his lifetime and they didn't know what to expect; one of the candidates, Bemba, had stated publicly he would resume the war if things did not proceed to his satisfaction. The people just did not know what would happen. Then he abruptly stopped his discourse and looked at me.
He wanted an answer, so he asked me. Why? Who know why. Maybe because I come from a place that has had so many elections without subsequent fighting, at least since 1860.
I told him the Eufor had a very strong force in Kinshasa, as did Monuc. Monuc might not fight but I thought the Eufor would and Bemba could not beat those guys.
He visibly relaxed and told me he was very relieved to hear that, and he was sincere.
So for all you Eufor guys here in Kinshasa, there are people who are damn glad you are around. Just ignore the throat slitting gestures you get from the street punks.
When filing the flight plan at Kikwit the CAA man who handled it looked a bit uneasy, as if he wanted to say something. As I finished he stated, without preamble, that tomorrow was the country's first election in his lifetime and they didn't know what to expect; one of the candidates, Bemba, had stated publicly he would resume the war if things did not proceed to his satisfaction. The people just did not know what would happen. Then he abruptly stopped his discourse and looked at me.
He wanted an answer, so he asked me. Why? Who know why. Maybe because I come from a place that has had so many elections without subsequent fighting, at least since 1860.
I told him the Eufor had a very strong force in Kinshasa, as did Monuc. Monuc might not fight but I thought the Eufor would and Bemba could not beat those guys.
He visibly relaxed and told me he was very relieved to hear that, and he was sincere.
So for all you Eufor guys here in Kinshasa, there are people who are damn glad you are around. Just ignore the throat slitting gestures you get from the street punks.

1 Comments:
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Clear string bikini
Post a Comment
<< Home