Old Man
I first saw the old man as he died. He was slumped over onto the passenger seat; when I looked into the car he let out a brief, soft moan. There was a wide open laceration from his hairline to the nape of his neck that wasn't bleeding and the roof on the driver side was crushed so I figured his neck was broken. One of the motorists who had stopped asked me what he should do and I said, nothing, we'll wait for the med unit. I was walking back to my patrol car and the motorist ran up and thrust a cell phone at me. The emergency dispatcher on the other end was frantic that I allow her to direct the motorist in a resuscitation attempt. Okay, you do that.
Before he could get started the volunteer fire dept. med unit and 2 park rangers who had med training rolled up. They all were desperate with concern and grim energy and they tried hard. They didn't see that kind of thing very often. Some city med unit guys said they wouldn't have done anything except call the coroner.
They took the old man to the hospital where he was d.o.a. and I documented the accident. He had hit the end of an interstate guard rail almost right square in the center of his car's radiator and curled the rail back for 100 feet. There were no skid marks at all.
His relatives told me the old man was 83 and had lost his wife 2 years prior. They had been married many, many years and he told them she had visited him just a few days before the crash. He lived 60 miles from the accident scene and they knew of no reason for him to be in that area.
The old man had a dog that never left his side and he never left behind; except that morning he did.
The cause of death was listed as the result of an automobile accident. I knew it wasn't. The old man decided to leave and be with his wife. He left his dog because he had to go alone.
For years when I passed that spot at night, I expected to see the old man standing there. I never did and was disappointed.
I think about this often.
Before he could get started the volunteer fire dept. med unit and 2 park rangers who had med training rolled up. They all were desperate with concern and grim energy and they tried hard. They didn't see that kind of thing very often. Some city med unit guys said they wouldn't have done anything except call the coroner.
They took the old man to the hospital where he was d.o.a. and I documented the accident. He had hit the end of an interstate guard rail almost right square in the center of his car's radiator and curled the rail back for 100 feet. There were no skid marks at all.
His relatives told me the old man was 83 and had lost his wife 2 years prior. They had been married many, many years and he told them she had visited him just a few days before the crash. He lived 60 miles from the accident scene and they knew of no reason for him to be in that area.
The old man had a dog that never left his side and he never left behind; except that morning he did.
The cause of death was listed as the result of an automobile accident. I knew it wasn't. The old man decided to leave and be with his wife. He left his dog because he had to go alone.
For years when I passed that spot at night, I expected to see the old man standing there. I never did and was disappointed.
I think about this often.

6 Comments:
Wow. WHat a short story you could write about that incident alone...
I think the fact that you thought of him each time you passed the spot, you did indeed "see" him there. I had an intersection like that also - the memories are just attached with mental super-glue.
Well you have to respect true love, but I can think of a lot more interesting ways to say adios. If it was me, I would have gifted my assets to charity, hooked up with an Anna Nichole Smith look alike and let her wear me out. That way, my progeny could second guess my sanity while they fought over my bed sheets but at least the dog would have a home.
anonymous 2: you just don't have a romantic soul.
so on a practical note:
a: if you gifted your assets to charity good luck attracting an Anna Nicole Smith look-a-like.
b: the dog did have a home.
c: which one of you nephews is this?
beads-n-books: i guess you're right, i did sort of see him.
This is very interesting site... New jersey residential automatic gate company Zyrtec hutchinson minnesota 6630 antivirus skin on skin asian Bentley carpet prices Dodge ball the movies Virus scanner programs cialis discount link suggest change water pump mazda astina Aaa cruise line protection insurance new jersey Poster shaolin soccer minivan floor consoles pontiac superchief Free virus scanner and protector C4096a toner cartridge sexy legs free download norton virus protection Samsung cell phone model Dragon boating riverfront hartford safety
Post a Comment
<< Home