Congo Rangers
Cool name.
Last year I wrote an entry about the courage and dedication of the National Park guards here in the DRC and what a tragedy it was that their spine was not matched by the quality of their training. They keep getting killed by poachers, rebels and bandits because they just don't know what to do when confronted by the bad guys.
Over in Virunga National Park, in the east of the DRC, near Goma, a start is being made to solve this problem and give these guys the training they need. A program has been set up by various organizations and the training is conducted by a former member of the Special Boat Service.
Later note: The Special Boat Service in a small British military unit, one of the very best in the world. I keep forgetting other people mostly don't read the same books I do and don't know this stuff.
You can read about it at the following web site:
http://www.wildlifedirect.org/congo-rangers/
Last year I wrote an entry about the courage and dedication of the National Park guards here in the DRC and what a tragedy it was that their spine was not matched by the quality of their training. They keep getting killed by poachers, rebels and bandits because they just don't know what to do when confronted by the bad guys.
Over in Virunga National Park, in the east of the DRC, near Goma, a start is being made to solve this problem and give these guys the training they need. A program has been set up by various organizations and the training is conducted by a former member of the Special Boat Service.
Later note: The Special Boat Service in a small British military unit, one of the very best in the world. I keep forgetting other people mostly don't read the same books I do and don't know this stuff.
You can read about it at the following web site:
http://www.wildlifedirect.org/congo-rangers/

1 Comments:
Thanks Carl, that's a great post on the Virunga rangers. Much appreciated. Indeed, 97 rangers from Virunga were killed on active service between 96 and today. We've been trying to provide support for some time, but it hasn't been easy. Promoting our blog is very helpful, thanks.
Post a Comment
<< Home