Hit 'Em Again Brother
I was on the front porch reading about 0800 the other day when I heard a considerable commotion on the street in front of the house. Several voices were raised. Then more voices joined in and everyone started to shout, sounded like 15 or more people. I thought maybe a neighborhood rumble had started so I didn't stick my head out the gate to look. A curious white guy probably would not have had a calming effect.
This continued on for more than a few minutes with a couple of slapping sounds added. Curiosity overcame part of my caution so I went on the roof where I had a view of the street. There were about 8 to 10 people, men and women, surrounding and confronting a 20 year old male in a new red soccer shirt, apparently a thief. The end game had begun and I saw only a few gestures and shouts before 1 or more hands took firm hold of that new red soccer shirt and began marching the guy down the street toward the police station (a shipping container painted blue with a door and window cut in it). There were 5 or 6 others accompanying the guys holding red shirt. Their job was to whack him with sticks or belts or hands every few steps. Two steps, a little yelling, "whack, whack". A few more steps, "whack, whack". He fell down once and the forward progress to whack ratio went way out of his favor until he got up. They went around the corner and the last I saw of the group was an arm in mid-swing.
Speaking as an ex-officer of the law, I found the whole thing rather appealing.
This continued on for more than a few minutes with a couple of slapping sounds added. Curiosity overcame part of my caution so I went on the roof where I had a view of the street. There were about 8 to 10 people, men and women, surrounding and confronting a 20 year old male in a new red soccer shirt, apparently a thief. The end game had begun and I saw only a few gestures and shouts before 1 or more hands took firm hold of that new red soccer shirt and began marching the guy down the street toward the police station (a shipping container painted blue with a door and window cut in it). There were 5 or 6 others accompanying the guys holding red shirt. Their job was to whack him with sticks or belts or hands every few steps. Two steps, a little yelling, "whack, whack". A few more steps, "whack, whack". He fell down once and the forward progress to whack ratio went way out of his favor until he got up. They went around the corner and the last I saw of the group was an arm in mid-swing.
Speaking as an ex-officer of the law, I found the whole thing rather appealing.

4 Comments:
Me too, I've found this appealing as well. As long as there's no tire around the neck and a jerry can too close. :)
That sort of take-the-law-into-your-own-hands is actually quite nice here in Kin. I agree with kim about the tire et al.. not being present. But it is quite reconforting to see people getting "tired" of being robbed and doing something about it...
If only they could see the bigger robbers... ;-)
Regards,
Diego
i don't think grabbing a bad guy is taking the law into your own hands, it is just taking care of yourself, as you should.
when i was an officer, i used to get very tired of people asking me to "do something" about a hoodlum and then responding with "no, i don't think i should" when i asked them for a statement or complaint. the people here don't do that, they deliver the hoodlum to the door.
i think they see the bigger robbers, they don't have the wherewithall to do something about them.
Post a Comment
<< Home